- The Quiz Bee shall be composed of the Individual Elimination Round, Group Semi-Final Round, and Group Final Round.
- A school can send at most two (2) teams.
- A team shall be composed of three (3) contestants, either 3rd year or 4th year students of any combination.
- Registration fee will be Php 120 per team for public schools and Php 150 per team for private schools.
- The elimination round shall be held on January 30, 2012 from 1:00-3:00 P.M. at the Engineering Theater, UP College of Engineering.
- The elimination round shall be an individual written examination.
- All three (3) contestants shall take the written examination.
- The written examination shall be composed of fifty multiple choice questions which shall cover Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Economic History, Money and Banking, and Current Events.
- The team score shall be the sum of the individual scores of the three (3) team members.
- Questionnaires shall be surrendered to the proctors after the time allotted for the exam.
- No individual may go out of the room during the examination.
- The top ten schools based on the computed team scores shall qualify for the final round.
- The same team members shall represent the school in the finals round in the event that they qualify.
- The highest individual scorer would be recognized during the awarding, even though his/her team may not qualify for the final round.
SEMI-FINAL and FINAL ROUNDS
- The semi-final and final rounds shall be held on Febuary 6, 2012 from 1:00-4:00 P.M. at the Engineering Theater, UP College of Engineering
- The semi-final and final rounds shall be a team competition. A team is composed of three (3) members.
3. The semi-final round shall be divided into three (3) rounds: Easy, Average, and Difficult.
4. There shall be five (5) questions for each round: Easy questions will be worth ten (10) points for every correct answer; average questions will be worth twenty (20) points for every correct answer; difficult questions will be worth thirty (30) points for every correct answer.
5. Answers shall be written on the official illustration board provided by UP OBEM. The board shall be raised immediately after the time limit. The time limit depends on the type of each question.
6. Questions may be in the following types: multiple choice, identification, true or false, and problem solving.
7. Questions shall cover Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Economic History, Money and Banking, and Current Events.
8. The top five (5) teams who shall accumulate the most number of points after the fifteen questions shall move on to the final round.
9. In case of a tie, a sudden-death question shall be asked such that the team who correctly answers the question first shall move on to the final round.
10. The five teams screened from the semi-final round shall move on to the final round.
11. The final round shall employ a buzzer system (e.g. Battle of the Brains, Jeopardy).
12. The final round shall consist of twenty-five (25) questions which shall cover Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Economic History, Money and Banking, and Current Events.
13. Questions shall then be divided into subcategories and shall have corresponding points depending on the difficulty of the question.
14. The subcategories shall be flashed on a 5x5 digital board which will look like this:
- The first question shall be taken from the subcategory chosen by the quiz master. The succeeding subcategories shall be chosen by the team who answered the previous question correctly.
- Each team shall be represented by a color assigned by the organizers.
- BONUS POINTS
- Color Pattern – If a team successfully forms a certain color pattern (vertical, horizontal, and diagonal), they shall receive a bonus of 15 points.
- Picture Puzzle – If a question is answered correctly, a portion of a hidden picture shall be revealed. The first team who identifies the hidden picture correctly shall receive a bonus of 20 points. Any team who wants to guess shall press the buzzer after flipping the subcategory box. Only one team shall be allowed to guess per subcategory.
- The team shall gain the number of points based on the question answered.
- The subcategory box shall be colored according to the team color.
- The subcategory box shall be flipped.
- The team shall be given the opportunity to choose the next category.
- Another team may steal the question once. If the stolen question is still answered incorrectly, the quiz master shall choose the subcategory for the next question.
- The subcategory box will be blackened such that it will not be considered in the color pattern.
- The subcategory box shall not be flipped.
- Internet sources (to be verified by the organizers)